Monday, September 5, 2011

JOLLY OLD ENGLAND!

Monday, September 5, 2011 - Labor Day in the USA - School starts here in England!  I made it!  It was interesting going through Reykjavik, Iceland on the way here.  I think it has some interesting places to see but it is a rather cold climate!   We had to disembark on the tarmac and it was a little rainy and cold.   The hurry to make connecting flight being held for our delayed plane (repair in Seattle).   Iceland Air is a bargain airline but it was comfortable enough.  Too bad I left my wallet on the first flight and had to cancel my credit/debit cards!  At least my passport and cash was on me elsewhere!  Another lesson learned!   I know when I told Geoff about that wallet (same one I lost is Russell, NZ!) he thought "OMG, not again!" but he was quite helpful and supportive!

Lovely drive from Manchester Airport to Garstang...looks like I am in England alrighty!

The Crofters Friday night...met many of Geoff's "pub" buddies. Saturday night the 20th Annual Oyster Festival at Guy's Thatched Hamlet (an up close look at a real thatched roof!)--it was a lot of fun!   First pizza in the restaurant!  Yum, then on to the huge tent marquee:


Inside the tent, there was an Irish band, dancing, fresh raw Andy Malloy oysters from Connemara, Ireland, Irish Stew, strawberries and cream and, of course Guinness!


Two fisted Guinness:


We had a wonderful time:


Next morning we saw a hot air balloon take off right outside the RV (I only got a short video of it) and then walked around the "Hamlet" and down the Lancaster Canal and saw longboats that people live on:
And the Thatched Hamlet, itself was quite interesting:

Then on Sunday afternoon, Geoff drove me around the immediate area and I saw more English looking landscape...we ended up at the Trough of Bowland for a picnic with a few grazing sheep:
e

Love, Geoff & Sue  xo

P.S. Forgot to tell you we went to the monthly jazz session at The Crofter's and I met more of Geoff's friends and enjoyed the New Orleans Dixieland Jazz Band!    Having a wonderful time!  Sue xp

1 comment: