Monday, January 31, 2011

SLIP! SLOP! SLAP!

SUNDAY, JANUARY 30, 2011 – GERALDINE – "Slip on a shirt, Slop on some sunscreen and Slap on a hat!---that's NZs constant reminder about the heave UV rays here and to protect yourself every day!   I hear this every day on the radio!
We are getting ready to have dinner, then a movie at the local Heritage Cinema (2010s “Ghost Writer”), then to the local pub to watch SKY TV and the finals of the Australian Open!   We are supporting Andy Murray from Scotland.  J
So yesterday we left Omarama and drove through several valleys to the Mt. Cook/Aoriki visitor area.     The weather was not looking good all the way there and we could not see Mt. Cook in the distance like we hoped. 

The biggest surprise to me on the way was the color of Lake Pukaki and the rivers flowing into it…sort of white looking with light aquamarine!   The water is from the glaciers and looks very clean and clear!    My pictures do NOT do the color justice--that is water in the bottom of pic: 

We finally see Mt. Cook just peaking out of the clouds and think that is the best we will see:

Geoff needs a nap ( above^)! 
While he rests the clouds burn off the mountain! 

We took lots of pictures and a nice woman from Bend, Oregon took one of us above! 
We spent time in the very new & great visitor’s center and here is another view from there: 

Then we walked to the Heritage Restaurant and explored Sir Edmund Hillary’s interesting museum there, had a drink and enjoyed the early evening views of Mt. Cook! 

It was getting later so we went to Hooker Valley and camped at White Horse Campground with the intention of taking one of the walks today to see more of the mountains.
We were woken up with the campervan shaking from very gusty winds…no rain..just gusts of wind that rocked and rolled old Ruby!   I finally got up just before 8 AM and headed to the bathroom.   On the way back in the wind, I was thinking about how glad I was there were no trees around and I opened the campervan side door (thinking to myself “Geoff must have gotten the curtains to slide the other direction”) and found a pretty blonde lady looking at me very curiously…crap!  I went to “Aimee” not “Ruby” (she was parked right next to us)—I said “oops, sorry, wrong van!”, slid the door closed and walked around to the right door laughing and telling Geoff.   He is just like my brother, Doug, he keeps teasing me about finding my way back to the van in broad daylight!   I was just glad I didn’t open the door to find naked people!  J  
So we decided to skip the walk—it looked like rain, the mountain was socked in and I didn’t want to walk in that gusty wind.   We headed to Fairlie, had lunch, then decided to drive on to Geraldine!   We walked around the town and it is very cute! 
Lake Tekapo (where we stopped to see the old pioneer Church of the Good Shepherd)! 

Off to eat dinner and have some fun.   Love, Sue & Geoff xo  the wanderers in the wind:

No comments:

Post a Comment