Friday, January 27, 2012

WELCOME TO LOS CRISTIANOS, TENERIFE, CANARY ISLANDS...

January 27, 2011  - Friday - Castle Harbor - We arrived here nearly 2 weeks ago and I just now am getting around to doing a blog about this place.  It is almost perfect--a great temperature (warm with no humidity and cools down in the evenings).   I have posted on Facebook that it is a very cosmopolitan area--lots of Brits but lots of people from all around Europe and northern Africa.  I have not met any Americans as yet but I am sure I am not the only one!  

I love the desert-type landscape and there are lots of cacti and other plants I have not seen before.  As in other tropical areas, the plants that grow outside are one's that I have struggled to grow inside my house back in Olympia!   Here's a couple samples:
I have no idea what this is--was as tall as me and growing next to a mini-market in town!   Interesting!
Some pretty cacti getting ready to bloom!

Outside Castle Harbor!

This was outside where we are staying!




So we have been staying uphill from the ocean for this first month (will move down to stay right on the water on February 15!)--but have been exploring the shops, restaurants and bars around our area.  We also head down to the waterfront and walk along the promanade which is lovely in itself:
The view along the promanade at one point!
The pretty design of the concrete on parts of the promanade!
Sand sculpturers working on their craft!
Lots of people playing Petanque in the sand.
Me & Geoff in the backseat of a local cab!

I am really enjoying great walks along the promanade--Geoff says it's about 5 miles long so I still have a ways to go--I figure I will be doing lots of walks once we are staying right on one end of the promanade!   One afternoon earlier this week, we decided to go explore some more and here are more pictures:
A church downtown--very pretty!
Along another section of the promanade!

A bit of a pickup volleyball game on the beach!
Lots of terraced building with bars & restaurants to explore!


We stop in a terraced bar and this is the daytime view!
Watching the sunset--spectacular!
The moon shines through--it was so pretty!


That's it for now--just a little taste of Los Cristianos as we begin our stay.  More to come, of course, as we explore new areas.   Sending warm wishes (to those in the cold) and love, Geoff & Sue xo






1 comment:

  1. Are you sure you aren't in California? Ha, ha! Beautiful! And sorry I've been remiss on reading!!

    ReplyDelete